Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Pumpkin Parable

I was reading over at Karla Dornacher's blog a couple of days ago (I LOVE it over there!!) and saw a cute photo of her granddaughters and their smiling carved pumpkins they had just completed. I read on and Karla relayed a parable I had never heard about the pumpkin as it applies to us as Christians. I don't want to restate it all here - she relayed it so well, and I love her commentary and prayer too, so I invite you to read about it here.

The next day, she posted a cute, cute coloring page for kiddos to go along with the parable - great idea!!

In the comment section from her first pumpkin post, another sweet gal shared a link for a tract she created that relays the pumpkin parable so well - I've included a link to it here too.

I really don't want to get into a big theological discussion about Halloween, it's origins, etc - I just wanted to share what I thought was a touching story that brings glory to God (which is my stated goal on the blog). I'll leave theological wranglings to others. By the way, here is another resource about the pumpkin parable over at Annie's Homepage. She has MANY other lengthy, good pages about Halloween symbols, etc - all thought provoking and thorough...and from a Christian perspective.

SO, all this pumpkin talk has me thinking fondly of Halloweens from my childhood - thought I'd throw in an old funny photo of me and my older brother circa 1969 (that's me under the sheet - I apparently was Casper the Slobbering Ghost :o) And my, that was a pretty decent candy haul!! I remember that year my Aunt gave us rocks (just for fun of course) ala "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" animated classic. Poor old Charlie Brown and his rocks...


Well, no matter how you do or don't celebrate Halloween, this one thing is true: "This is the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it!" Psalm 118:24 Every day belongs to Him!!


"There is no fear in love, but perfect love drives out fear..." 1 John 4:18

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:06 PM

    Becky... thanks for sharing the link to my blog and to the parable of the pumpkin... I hope many of your readers will enjoy the coloring page with their kids... and the message of God's grace!

    Thanks again my friend and kindred heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:10 PM

    Thanks for the parable of the pumpkin!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the wonderful post and all the yummy ideas on our blog! The scarecrow is so FABULOUS! Maybe that could be part of your October calendar page!

    smiles, kari and kijsa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love looking through your blog! I also love Charlie Brown's Halloween special, too! One year, my dad and older sister ate all the candies then went to the driveway and put ROCKS in the opened wrappers! Then they gave them to kiddoes as they trick or treated at our house. I always thought that was sooooo funny! :)

    ReplyDelete

I am deeply appreciative of the time you've taken to leave a comment - thank you!