Thursday, May 14, 2009

31 Days: Day 5 - Thankful Thursday

Although it is a bit late in the day, I thought it would still be nice to join Karla for Thankful Thursday and tie it in with my 31 Day Challenge for today!


I have so very much to be thankful for - God has blessed my life in more ways than I can ever adequately express. But I have to say that my best blessing of all besides Jesus's love itself, is the gift of love that the Lord gave me wrapped up in a man named John...my incredible husband! To keep this post relatively short and not too mushy, I won't go on and on about how wonderful he is and all the many things I love about him...trust me, I could go on forever. What I will do is briefly report what others see in us...together...it testifies to the power of true love lived out in every day life...



It's the most uncanny thing, but it's waitresses that seem to comment the most about John and I - we are always holding hands, particularly across the table at restaurants, and it almost always draws a comment from the waitress like "I sure don't see much of that [hand-holding] anymore...it's so great to see two people so in love." We get that ALL the time...I'm not exaggerating. One time our waitress remarked about our obvious love for one another with tears in her eyes saying how much she wished her marriage could be that happy. Wow... we prayed for her. Just last week a woman came all the way out of Whataburger and walked over to our car as we were about to drive off and said, "I just wanted to tell you how much it blessed me to see your husband open the car door for you - you just don't see that anymore." Amazing - the simplest things that are just a "routine"part of our life together seem to really touch people. I told John it was neat that God gave us a ministry of hand-holding and smooching! :o)

______________________________

Well, believe it or not, all this actually ties in with Proverbs Chapter 5. (Today is the 5th day of the challenge to read a chapter of Proverbs a day for 31 days)

I wish I could have read Proverbs 5 and found a sweet, sunny, lighthearted verse to share, but, to be blunt, the entire chapter is about infidelity...and its consequences. Here are a couple or verses that stood out to me (from the Message version):

"Your spring water is for you and you only, not to be passed around among strangers. Bless your fresh-flowing fountain! Enjoy the wife you married as a young man! Lovely as an angel, beautiful as a rose— don't ever quit taking delight in her body. Never take her love for granted!"

Proverbs 5:17-19 (The Message)

I am not going to try to offer much commentary to these verses - instead I embedded a YouTube music video of Casting Crowns singing "Slow Fade" - it's a powerful song with an important message, and it really speaks volumes...I'll let it speak for itself....


______________________________
I hope to see you back tomorrow for Day 6 - I'll be sharing more details about the giveaway prizes...don't miss it!! And remember, any comment you leave between now and June 9th on any of these posts will automatically enter you in the drawing...so jump on in!

2 comments:

  1. Becky I emaild you per your request.

    My son and precious daughter-in-love gave me a concert ticket for Mother's Day to see Casting Crowns with them. I'm so excited and can hardly wait. My daughter-in-love sings too and just joined a new church band and they are practicing Slow Fade. If you would like to here Jen's voice you can find a few songs by her online here:
    http://martinsfiction.com/jennifer_martin_christmas.htm

    I love your post. I lost my beloved husband of forty years this past Oct. Although I know he is with Jesus, it left a void in my soul that I can't even explain. We were truly one and still held hands when walking, sitting in a restaurant, or just sitting at home. Someone remarked once that we were "too close". If being One is too close, then so be it. She was only jealous, having had at least four failed marriages that I'm aware of. I'm so vey glad now that we were "too close" for the time we had together. One day we will be even closer and for ever. Continue to love and cherish your husband every day God gives you. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:08 AM

    Such heart-warming photos! My husband and I have our 41st anniversary coming up in a couple of weeks. We still hold hands. He cracks me up when we're somewhere. He'll say (jokingly), "Don't do that...they'll think we're in love!" And I usually respond, "Ewwww! We don't want them thinking that!"

    {{{Hugs}}} to Betty (above). We lost our older daughter in January 2008. While it's a different sort of loss, I do understand the void she speaks of.

    ReplyDelete

I am deeply appreciative of the time you've taken to leave a comment - thank you!