Monday, July 25, 2005

Studio Friday: Prize Possession

This week's theme for Studio Friday is "Prize Possession." I have so many things tucked away here and there that are very dear to me (photos, momentos, etc) but in my studio there is a book that means a lot to me for many reasons. It's Mary Engelbreit's Home Companion - her very first decorating book. My dear co-workers bought it for me in 1994 as a going away present. I was leaving my design job of 8 years to strike off on my own in the big art world. These dear gals wrote the most wonderful things in this book about how they "knew me when" and "I would be signing books someday", etc. I did have a lot of dreams in my head to be sure. But life has a way of taking you places you hadn't planned. I never became a self-supporting artist. I became first a realtor and then a trainer in high tech. But I really have no regrets. I feel that every lesson I have learned and every person I have met on this journey which is my life made me a richer person - not in material things, but in matters of the heart and spirit. And now, 11 years later, I am facing another crossroads in my life. I am getting closer to launching off again into the big art world. But this time, my dreams are tempered with age and some measure of maturity. I have no allusions. But, I do have hope. And no matter what, I know if I remain open to always learn and stay humble, I will be richer still.

Oh, I said the book was special to me for several reasons. 4 years after my friends gave it to me and signed it with their blessings, I took it to a book signing in Denver. Mary Engelbreit was at a local ME store signing ME merchandise - so I carried my precious book to the signing and there, side by side with my friend's well wishes was the signature of the one artist who has had the most influence in my artistic life - Ms. Mary Engelbreit. I remember that she told me that she liked the necklace I was wearing - it doesn't get much better than that. :o)

10 comments:

  1. What a fabulous momento you have there, a prized possession indeed! I just think it's marvelous that you took that giant leap and 'went for it'. That will get you where you are wanting to go ..side roads and all. HOPE. What a beautiful and powerful word that is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:13 AM

    Oh, I know who she is. I love her illustrations, and I can see her influence in yours. How neat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:05 AM

    One can see you're definitely influenced by ME's work, yet you're style is you. : ) Thanks for sharing the background story of your occupational ventures. It reads very optimistically though things panned out differently than planned. I'm looking forward to hearing more!

    BTW, I love ME's designers featured in her magazine. Their decor style is quirky & whimsical. looks like "cheap chic" with an artistic twist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments. Both my real estate and my training careers, along with the grace of God, worked to bring me out of an incredible almost crippling shyness that I had for years and years. That's just one of the things I'm grateful for from my non-art pursuits.

    I absolutely have been influenced by ME in my art...I'm striving to find my own voice, but will probably always be tinged with her sense of color and whimsy - at least I hope so :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:33 AM

    I love the way you spill out your heart in this column. It is so refreshing and real. Yes, I see M/E in your style, but I also see YOU and your style and it is very different and pure. God will lead you to whatever He has for you to do and I know you will be listening.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:42 PM

    Becky,

    oh wow, what a prized possession indeed you got there. Oh my!! What an inspiration indeed!! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Becky,
    What an amazing book to have. I love it that you brought it to have it signed by her!
    More than anything, it's a sort of confirmation for you, to have her book, to have met her, and to grab hold of that encouragement as a signpost to move on towards your goals in art. Reading your post was a joy. Keep up your wonderful work! You're acheiving great things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:25 AM

    TAG!

    http://madamerubies.com/blog/?p=32#comments

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1:52 PM

    Oh my goodness . . . I thought you had gone out and decorated your office without me. Whew . . . it was just an illusion but now I see where you get your wonderful ideas. Now save a day for me so we play and decorate together.
    Love you creative bunny!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous1:22 AM

    WOWEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!! that's soo neat!!

    ReplyDelete

I am deeply appreciative of the time you've taken to leave a comment - thank you!