Saturday, April 03, 2010

Cherry Pineapple Dump Cake!

As promised, here are the step-by-step instructions for the world's easiest, crowd-pleasing dessert:  Dump Cake! (thanks to my old friend Melody who taught me about adding pineapple and nuts) I know it's probably old hat to most of you, but just in case you've never tried it, it really is super easy and delicious and it feeds a lot of folks too. Here are the 5 ingredients:

1 box yellow cake mix
1 can cherry pie filling
1 can crushed pineapple in natural juice
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
1 1/4 cup chopped pecans

Mix the cherry pie filling and crushed pineapple in a glass baking pan...

Pour box of dry cake mix over the cherry-pineapple mixture...
...spread cake mix evenly over mixture and break up any large clumps of cake mix

...measure nuts and spread evenly over cake mix...
...melt 1 cup butter in microwave and drizzle evenly over nuts and cake mix...
...bake at 375 for approximately 35-40 minutes until golden brown and bubbly (oven temps may vary so watch the baking time)
...and don't, whatever you do, overcook it like I did... (it's not bad really, just a few nuts got a little dark)

This dessert is best served warm in my opinion (w/vanilla ice cream if you're feeling really decadent), but whatever you do, don't try to eat it right after it comes out of the over...it's molten hot! It's good room temperature and even cold too...

I'll be sharing this at our annual Schultea Family Picnic tomorrow. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone this year....we were rained out last year and it's been quite a while since I've seen everyone all in one spot. Hubby's extended family is HUGE...there'll likely be over 100 people there if we have a typical turnout! I'll have the camera going full time and will share pix of all the festivities early next week...

I hope your Easter celebrations at church and with family and friends are wonderful! I'll have my official Easter greeting up for you in the morning! Thanks so much for stopping by!!


"And people should eat and drink and enjoy the fruits of their labor, for these are gifts from God."
Ecclesiastes 3:13


2 comments:

  1. Have fun Becky! Thanks for the recipe... I am going to try it next week when I get together with my kids for a picnic... if the weather holds out. God bless you and your loved ones this Easter season. Happy Resurrection Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I never even heard of dump cake until a couple years ago, but I LOVE them! This sounds so good Becky, I will definitely be trying this!

    ReplyDelete

I am deeply appreciative of the time you've taken to leave a comment - thank you!