Monday, September 24, 2007

Makeover Monday: Our Guest Bathroom


$8.00 Guest Bathroom Makeover!

Hello friends - it's time for another installment of Makeover Monday where I choose a makeover project, large or small, home or art-related, and share with you the before and after photos with commentary.

This week I will feature the makeover of our guest bathroom. It already had good bones and some basics in place (like a good shower curtain), but just needed some accessorizing in the worst way. The BEST part about this makeover was the price tag - approximately $8.00!!! Practically free!! (I LOVE decorating on the cheap!!) I gathered up stuff from here and there around the house and from my craft supplies (see below) and went from there...



Before...




I should mention here that my sweet-handy-hubby saw this cabinet in the trash and rescued/re-purposed it for the bathroom1! It had 3 cabinet doors and a blond/light oak finish - he cut it down to 2 cabinets, painted it glossy white, and hung it there as you see it. A nice blank canvas ready for me to embellish...


After...








Using regular craft paints (Ceramcoat), I applied a green wash to the panel insets in the cabinet doors, then I painted the flowers in coordinating colors with the shower curtain, and topped it off with a brown antiquing glaze (brown paint and water) which I ragged off. This helped tone down the colors to better blend with the color scheme and give it that older,more shabby look. Hubby then added 2 little knobs ($1.50 each at WalMart) to the cabinet doors to finish it off. Finally I topped the cabinet with some greenery and a couple of hand painted birdhouses for vertical interest.
I had this tin hydrangea sign for forever (it was a cheapy from Marshall's) - I just added a sage grosgrain bow above (attached with thumbtacks) for a little interest. The little framed mirror (below) was a mini-makeover in itself. (This piece was a garage sale find from years ago - probably a dollar) The mirror had fallen out and the top panel was a piece of Masonite with not-so-pretty hand painted pansies in harsh colors. I re-glued the mirror and covered the top Masonite inset with fabric, buttons and a tiny quilt-scrap heart to coordinate with another wall-art project I did for the room(coming up later in the post). It really fit the bill for that little space - and once again, zero dollars...



More Before...


These were a pair of framed prints that I had bought about a year ago or so - they had been hanging, rather blandly, here for a while above the towel rack. I liked their size, but decided to completely re-do them, just keeping the frames and glass...
And More After...



So, I pulled them all apart, flipped the prints over (which were glued to cardboard) and attached fabrics in coordinating colors with fusible webbing to the cardboard. Then I glued on coordinating vintage quilted heart shapes, trims, lace, floral wire, and buttons for bit of a shabby look. Finally, I placed them back in the frames, re-stapled them in and re-hung them.




I bought 2 sage green hand towels ($2.44 each at WalMart) to use in the space - one of which I draped over my existing pink towel on the towel rack - I tied it off with a 6 inch scrap of ribbon (it's just pinned in the back) to tie it all together. I put the other hand towel through the little towel ring by the sink and embellished it with a stuffed quilt heart I already had...


Hubby and I finished off the rest of the room by hanging this china ivy platter above the door (china - its not just for the dining room anymore).





And one last little touch hung on the doorknob - a velvet pillow with ribbon embroidery given to me by a dear friend - with a nice thought that's a good promise to remember...


2 comments:

  1. Hi Becky!! Look how cute your bathroom turned out! I am loving each and every inch of it!!! What a great idea to reinvent those pictures with the quilted hearts and all of that embellishment. You certainly outdid yourself on your project. Oh, let me not forget to goo-goo over your rose painted cabinet. The Lord has given you a huge blessing of artistic ability and brains! He definetly guides your hands to create such beauty! Hey, stop by today to see the little award that I am passing onto you...love you!

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cabinets and countertops offer the much-needed storage space in the bathroom to store your toiletries, keep medicines and first-aid box, cleaning milk, moisturizer and deodorants, towels and napkins besides other things that you use daily while showering in your bath. They are powerful accents to your bath décor and help you to define the tone and style of the bathroom wall cabinets and make the best use of the wall and floor surface of the area. http://bathroom-wall-cabinets.blogspot.com .

    ReplyDelete

I am deeply appreciative of the time you've taken to leave a comment - thank you!