Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Wedding Details at Last!

(click any image to enlarge)
After a couple of days of rest after the wedding, I'm finally ready to show you some of the details of this wonderful day. For those of you new to my blog, I styled/coordinated a DIY at-home wedding this past weekend for a dear friend's daughter, and everything came together so beautifully! Glorious weather...cool, dry, slight breeze, crystal blue sky...perfect! Plus, it was just so very relaxed and laid back...and everyone had a wonderful time!

The following photos are focused on the decor...I was too busy running around doing this and that to get very many photos of the bride and groom or the wedding party. The fabulous Houston-based photographer Melanie Johnson took care of that and then some...I'll share an early sample of the bridal portrait she shot a bit later in the post...

First off is the cake (or cupcake rather) table. Connie, the mother of the bride, did a great job rehabbing this dresser. It was perfect for the look we were going for, which was a relaxed, vintage cottage-style look - love the glass knobs (the "Once Upon a Time" sign belongs to the bride...perfect)...

I found this cute vintage Wilton bride and groom at a garage sale and tweaked it a bit by adding touches of purple, beads, lace snippet, and tiny silk roses...plus I painted the groom's hair dark brown...it was blond before...

I set the bride and groom on a glass tiered platter I made...

...and added a few of the yummy cupcakes...these were ordered from a local grocery store. We simply added the sugar sprinkles and cute flower cupcake wrappers...

I showed you photos of this arrangement in a previous post...here's how it looked in the vignette...

Here's the bride's bouquet I made...it was simple and understated...just white roses and purple status...
 
The entire wedding ceremony and reception took place in the front yard, driveway and huge front porch at the mother of the bride's lovely home. We endeavored to create cozy, sweet vignettes for each activity using mostly things we already had or that we bought at thrift and discount stores. The ceremony itself was right off the porch in the yard. We used an a-frame from their old swing set and tied on white sheers from Ikea...
The light was absolutely gorgeous on Saturday, but it made for somewhat harsh photos from this angle. Here are photos I took of the floral swag and LOVE banner at my house so you can see the details a bit better...
I had the pom-pom fringe and the funky green tulle/lace/organza trim in a bag of trims I bought at a garage sale, and I made the flowers and leaves from wire-edged ribbon...
I flanked the a-frame with two large arrangements I made, and set them on little metal garden tables from Marshall's...once again, the light makes it hard to see...had to use the flash to show the flower details...

Another vignette we created was a seating arrangement for the bride and groom. We hung a clothesline between two trees in the side yard by the driveway and hung up six white on white curtain panels I got for $10 total at a garage sale and ribbon from Hobby Lobby. We topped the curtains with a vine of silk morning glories I made by taping 18 separate morning glory sprigs together in a long line...
We used a wicker settee for their seating, a kitchen table, and the bride's French secretary to create the vignette. This ended up being a spot where many of the family photos were taken...
I was SO blessed to have a ton of help from so many people to put all the vignettes and details together..for example, the bride's aunt is a former florist, and she did all the table arrangements like this one. All the fresh flowers were from Kroger!

I embellished these chipboard 'B' and 'G' letters...
...for the 'Bride' and 'Groom'...but they work also for the names of the bride and groom - Bekah and Gonzalo...  :o)

Here are a few more random vignettes from the day...

"Photo booth" for the guests (the gorgeous quilt was a gift to me from the bride's Mom for my help with the wedding!)

Directional signs...
FYI, these green boards I used for the signs were salvaged from my potting shed that got destroyed by Hurricane Ike in 2008...
Here they are all together...

Menu chalkboard made from a vintage tray (my brother catered the BBQ for the wedding and he outdid himself again - yummy!!)

Vintage typewriter...

Coffee bar inside the house...
I got to incorporate this sign I made for the flea market in November, but didn't sell...

Porch swing with Ikea lace panels, quilt, and another arrangement...

Various tables...we used tables and chairs collected from people we knew and thrift stores too. The wonderful helpers at the wedding dressed them using a variety of table covers from my stash as well as some vinyl lace ones from Tuesday Morning. We also used my vases and cupcake plates as centerpieces (but due to a timing error on my part, we never got the cupcakes actually into the domed platters...) oh well, they tasted just as good served from a table on the porch :o)

Here's a photo of the mother of the bride - my dear friend Connie...we go WAY back to High School days...

And as I mentioned earlier in the post, here is a bridal portrait from Melanie Johnson, our awesome photographer. Bekah is just so beautiful...what a sweet pose. She's wearing the miracle $10 dress from Goodwill...as soon as Melanie posts more photos, I'll see if there is a full length one showing more of the dress...
While I was writing this post, Melanie posted another sample from the wedding, this time of the bride and groom - what a stunning photo - what a beautiful couple! I can't WAIT to see all the rest of the photos from Melanie!!

I was so blessed to be a part of this lovely wedding. We had a blast pulling it all together - and seeing the guests genuinely enjoy themselves and relax and seeing the bride and groom so happy made all the work SO worth it!

______________________________

I'll be doing a quick Merry Christmas post on Thursday, then I'm headed to the beach with my Hubby, my Mom & Dad and my brothers and their families for 4 glorious days of rest, relaxation and reflection in a wonderful beach house we've rented. (we do this in lieu of exchanging gifts). I look forward to seeing all of you when I return and sharing photos of our vacation...  Hugs to all of you!!


9 comments:

  1. Just beautiful Becky! I love the trend of personal, unique weddings that don't have to be about outdoing everyone else. Why have your wedding look just like everyone elses? The arrangements and personal touches are beautiful and I'm sure the happy couple will remember how their friends and family all came together to help them make their special day truely special! What a beautiful bride:>)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas, Becky!!!
    You did an amazing, awesome, and beautiful job of making that wedding wonderful!
    Warmly,
    deb :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Gorgeous, gorgeous details!!! Merry Christmas to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How great, I can't wait for more pictures! A beautiful, warm, memorable, and budget conscious wedding. i see a great future for kids that dare to be different and realize all of the great things they could do with the money they saved! You did a wonderful job!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful and creative! I'm so glad Connie has a friend like you in her life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:37 AM

    What a beautiful wedding! All the details were amazing and I love the idea of different little vignette settings, oh and the signs...adorable. Great job, I'm sure the bride and groom were thrilled with the results. Merry Christmas to you. Enjoy your much needed rest. Blessings, Patty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything was magical that day-- the lighting, the friends, the fellowship. I'll always cherish the moments we all spent on one perfectly beautiful day in December.

    When you posted this, I was struck by that picture of Mom sitting with her family--she looks so happy, absorbed in the moment. Reminds me that today she's seated in heavenly places, surrounded by family with the new wine flowing :)

    I believe you caught a little moment of eternity there :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Becky, how lovely this wedding turned out! I loved seeing all your pretty touches. The word that kept coming to my mind was CHARMING--charming through and through. How special it must have been for your friend to have you handle the details, and her daughter was just beautiful. You did a great job and earned the rest afterward!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I saw you are a new follower so I had to come find out what you were buzzin' about and what a beautiful wedding. The colors and details look so smashing! I am very impressed and when my Baby Bee gets old enough.....I just might give you a call. It was clearly a lot of work, but it sure looked like a lot of fun. Great ideas and inspiration! Thanks for being a follower!

    ReplyDelete

I am deeply appreciative of the time you've taken to leave a comment - thank you!